It occurred to me that many of the discounts that I have found recently were, for some reason, secrets. As a new teacher, I can use all of the help I can get, so I'm going to post the list that I know of here and hope that it helps other financially drained educators. If you know of any that I have missed, please share!
- Adopt a Classroom - You can register your class for adoption at www.adoptaclassroom.com. If adopted, your class gets $500 to spend on school supplies at the teacher's discretion.
- Donor's Choice - At donorschoose.org, you can submit informal grants proposals that are then posted for donors to look over. If you're lucky, you can get your project funded.
- Teacher Cards - I ALWAYS ask if the store that I am shopping in gives an educator's discount. I have gotten money off at apple.com, Barnes and Noble, Staples, Office Depot, Office Maxx, and Jo-Ann's so far.
- Tax Exempt - I don't know about elsewhere, but in NY, if you know the phone number of your school and you ask, many stores can look up your tax exempt id nimber. At a lot of places this is in addition to your teacher's discount.
- AFT, UFT, NYC DOE, and NYSUT - check your professional organization websites every so often, they have loads of great discounts!
- You can register at crayola.com and be sent freebies and coupons in the mail.